FILITHEYO ISLAND RESORT
AT A GLANCE
- Only Resort in Unspoiled Faafu Atoll
- One of the best reefs in Maldives
Sunset Restaurant & Bar
Filitheyo Main Bar
Opening Times: daily from 10:00 to 20:00
The Sports Centre
Whale Shark Snorkeling
Fish are the main attraction versus the coral/ sponges – excellent number and variety of fish.
Reef access points have been introduced.
Access is quite easy. Walk across the island from the restaurant/ bar area to area shown on the map below as ‘good snorkeling’.
Current – direction varies, off the North beach.
Check the current, walk to your chosen end and wander in at signposted access point. If current looks strong just wait a bit for it to weaken.
- Due to strong currents we do not recommend snorkeling or swimming on the east side of the island especially exit 6 – exit 8.
- Current movement changes from high to low tides during the same day, always check the current (Call reception to check tide movements)
- Full moon and a New moon cause stronger and unpredictable currents.
- Stronger current warnings: Between exit 7 and 8.
- Point 3 – near Water Villa’s as it is further away.
- Do not ever snorkel near exit 7 – exit 8, due to very strong currents, even if you are an experienced swimmer. SAFETY COMES FIRST!
The best snorkeling area is a nice, extensive, house reef where visibility is usually good.
Our rental snorkeling equipment is in excellent condition and serviced as per manufacturer recommendations. We ensure that all of our snorkeler are equipped with essential in-water safety gear to comply with local snorkeling regulations. Snorkelers are most welcome to use their own personal snorkeling gear, and take full responsibility for the suitability and integrity of their personal equipment. Rental equipment is chargeable.
Whale Shark Snorkeling
Experience the uniqueness when you swim together with world’s largest fish. The whale shark can grow up to 12 to 18 meters which equals 39 to 59 feet. On this trip you will be taken by our experience boat crew to search for the whale shark for about an hour. When we spot the majestic whales sharks, you can plunge into the water with your snorkeling gear to enjoy a swim with this magnificent animal. In case that the whale shark cannot be found you will be taken to a beautiful reef where you can enjoy a variety of corals and fish.
The house reef is in excellent health and there are seven marked access points. Here on the house reef you can discover all kinds of exciting marine life including reef fish, rays, turtles, sharks, eels and lobsters. In the surrounding area, Faafu Atoll, you can explore by dive boat excursion more than 40 pristine reefs, thilas, channels, wrecks and caves bursting with vibrant marine life and healthy corals. As it’s the only resort in the atoll you won’t run into other groups of divers at the dive sites either.
There is a range of SSI courses for uncertified divers or anyone wanting to further their training, such as the drift specialty course. Another popular highlight is the UV night dive (fluro dive) on the house reef – an incredible way of seeing the remarkable underwater world.